On July 9th and 10th, the Minority Media and Telecommunications Council (MMTC) will convene some of the nation’s most visionary leaders on telecom policy and entrepreneurship to discuss “Maximizing Innovation, Inclusion, and Entrepreneurship in a Digital Economy” at its 11th Annual Access to Capital and Telecom Policy Conference.
What: Join MMTC, along with over 350 policymakers, innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors, to explore access to capital for minority- and women-owned media, new media, and telecom companies.
When/Where: Tuesday and Wednesday, July 9th and 10th, at the Embassy Suites Convention Center Hotel, 900 10th Street, Washington, DC. Call (202) 739-2001 to make discounted reservations as an MMTC conference registrant.
Who: MMTC is the leading national organization advocating for diversity and inclusion in media and telecommunications.
Join us for leading edge discussions, including:
- Special Wealth Gap Roundtable: Bridging the Wealth Gap Through Innovation, Education, and Entrepreneurship hosted by Kelvin Boston, Host, PBS TV’s Moneywise with Kelvin Boston show
- Special Civil Rights Roundtable: How the Nation’s Civil Rights Groups Can Win the Fight to Restore Minority Media and Telecom Ownership
The Conference will address:
- Why technology is the civil rights movement of the 21st century.
- Use innovation and education to shrink the wealth gap, the jobs gap, and the broadband adoption gap.
- How the Obama Administration’s Small Business JOBS Act, National Broadband Plan, and other government and private sector initiatives spur job creation and investment for MWBEs in the communications industries.
- How “crowdfunding” using social media solicitations revolutionizes access to capital for digital media start-ups.
- Latest developments in vendor financing and supplier diversity options for communications entrepreneurs.
- Report card on small business investing: The Investors, The CEOs, and The Entrepreneurs.
- How Minority-Owned Channels survive – and thrive – in a multi-platform marketplace.
- And much more…
Tuesday, July 9, 2013
10:00 – 12 noon New Telecom and Internet Policy Taskforce Meeting (Members and Staff only)
12:15 – 1:45 pm Congressional Luncheon
2:00 – 3:00 pm Wealth Gap Roundtable: Bridging the Wealth Gap Through Innovation, Education, and Entrepreneurship
3:15 – 3:45 pm Special Presentation: An MWBE Agenda for the FCC – 2013-2016
3:45 – 5:00 pm Civil Rights Roundtable: How the Nation’s Civil Rights Organizations Can Win the Restoration of Minority Media and Telecom Ownership
5:30 – 7:30 pm Reception: Celebrating MMTC’s Success in Advancing Minority Entrepreneurship
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
8:00 – 9:30 am FCC Breakfast
9:30 – 10:30 am Getting in the Game: How Spectrum Auctions and the IP Transition are Keys to Minority Opportunity
10:45 – 11:45 am 50 Years of Successful Entrepreneurship: Case Studies Featuring Men and Women Who Succeeded
12 noon – 1:45 pm Access to Capital and MMTC Hall of Fame Awards Luncheon
2:00 – 3:00 pm Minority-Owned Channels Share their Successes in a Multi-platform World
3:00 – 4:00 pm Spurring Innovation: Shortcuts for Tech Entrepreneurs Who Want to Turn an Idea into a Business
4:00 – 5:00 pm Supplier Diversity Networking Reception and Procurement Forum
Thursday, July 11, 2013
Registrants are encouraged to stay an additional day for free event: The FCC’s Angel Investors Forum
9:00 am – 4:30 pm* Presented by the FCC’s Office of Communications Business Opportunities (OCBO) at the Federal Communications Commission
*Angel investor panels followed by one-on-one sessions
* * * * *
MMTC is a national nonprofit organization founded in 1986 to promote and preserve media diversity and equal opportunity in the mass media, telecommunications, and broadband industries.