Washington, DC’s Minority Media and Telecommunications Council (MMTC) will convene some of the nation’s most noted leaders on broadband policy, telecommunications, and social justice to discuss “Bridging the Gap: Infrastructure, Education, & Equity in the Digital Economy” at our 5th Annual Broadband & Social Justice Summit, January 15th and 16th, in Washington, DC.
WASHINGTON, DC, 11/27/13 – The Minority Media and Telecommunications Council (MMTC) created the Broadband and Social Justice (BBSJ) Summit in 2010 to serve as a forum to highlight broadband and telecom inequities, begin action on proposed policy, and to give a voice to the popular MMTC Broadband & Social Justice Web Magazine. This yearʼs Summit will include our second annual FCC Chairs’ Roundtable, featuring Hon. Mignon Clyburn, Hon. Michael Copps, Hon. Reed Hundt, Hon. William E. Kennard, Hon. Richard (Dick) Wiley, and featuring new FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, who will provide opening remarks. Former Chairman William Kennard will also attend the Summit, providing opening remarks during the panel “Broadband: The Backbone of the New Economy.”
During the roundtable, the former FCC chairs will provide insights on how building broadband infrastructure is an energizer for broad sector transformation and 21st century entrepreneurship, and how broadband democratizes opportunity by preparing the American workforce for 21st century jobs and creating opportunities for disadvantaged communities.
The Chairs’ Roundtable immediately follows the FCC Commissioners’ Breakfast Roundtable, which features current FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai and former Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate. The commissioners will discuss broadband adoption as a solution for bridging the wealth gap and championing America’s way back to economic recovery and global competitiveness – all key areas of focus for Chairman Wheeler’s agenda.
The Summit opens with a Congressional Luncheon featuring the Congressmen James Clyburn (D-SC) and Cedric Richmond (D-LA), and former Congressmen Ed Towns (D-NY) and Cliff Stearns (R-FL) and State Representatives Joe Armstrong (D-TN) and Sharon Weston Broome (D-LA). Other prominent speakers include former FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein, President and CEO of the National Urban League Marc Morial, and Acting Deputy Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education Jim Shelton.
Save the Date – Registration Opens Soon!
MMTC Broadband & Social Justice Policy Summit 2014
WHEN: January 15 – 16, 2014
WHERE: The Westin Georgetown Hotel | 2350 M Street Washington, DC 20036
TIME: Doors open at 8:00 AM January 15
Other confirmed speakers to date include:
- Hon. Jonathan Adelstein, President, PCIA
- State Rep. Joe Armstrong (D-TN)
- State Sen. Sharon Weston Broome (D-LA) – President Emeritus, NOBEL Women
- Melanie Campbell, President & CEO, Black Women’s Roundtable and National Coalition for Black Civic Participation
- Maria Cardona, Co-Chair, inSPIRE STEM USA
- Hon. James Clyburn, Member, U.S. House of Representatives
- Hon. Mignon Clyburn, Commissioner, FCC
- Hon. Michael J. Copps, Former Acting Chairman, FCC; Special Advisor for Media and Democracy Reform Initiative, Common Cause
- Ari Fitzgerald, Partner, Hogan Lovells
- Emilio Gonzalez, Vice President, Verizon Communications
- Kristal High, Editor-in-Chief, Politic365
- Hon. Reed Hundt, Former Chairman, FCC
- Marva Johnson, Senior Vice President, Bright House Networks
- Hon. William E. Kennard, Former Chairman, FCC; Former U.S. Ambassador to the European Union
- Maria Teresa Kumar, Co-Founder, Voto Latino
- Fernando Laguarda, Vice President, Time Warner Cable
- Kevin Lewis, Lewis Education Group, Entrepreneur and Author of Crowdfundamentals: How to Raise $100K in 30 Days through Crowdfunding
- Marc Morial, President & CEO, National Urban League
- Hon. Ajit Pai, Commissioner, FCC
- Ruth Perot, Executive Director and CEO, Summit Health Institute for Research and Education
- Matthew Quinn, Director of Healthcare Initiatives, FCC
- Karen S. Rheuban, M.D., Medical Director, Office of Telemedicine, University of Virginia
- Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-LA2)
- Jim Shelton, Acting Deputy Secretary, Department of Education
- Craig Silliman, Senior Vice President of Public Policy, Verizon
- Hon. Cliff Stearns, Former Congressman (R-FL)
- Hon. Deborah Taylor Tate, Former Commissioner, FCC
- Hon. Ed Towns, Former Congressman (D-NY)
- Hon. Tom Wheeler, Chairman, FCC
- Hon. Richard E. Wiley, Former Chairman, FCC
- Jim Winston, President & CEO, NABOB
BBSJ Web Magazine – http://broadbandandsocialjustice.org
MMTC Website – check for updates! http://www.mmtconline.org
Sponsorship package information – http://mmtconline.org/bbsj-summit/sponsorship/
To become an MMTC Member or to hear about named Fellowships, contact us at 202.973-4314.